Why EquiBrand is Consistently Listed among the Top Brand Consulting Firms
EquiBrand is recognized among the list of leading brand consulting firms, as confirmed by recent industry rankings. In 2017, Forbes listed EquiBrand as one of American’s best management consulting firms, followed in 2018 by Advisory HQ’s rating as Top Marketing Consulting Firm. These listings of top firms consider a variety of factors, including ranking by colleague and client surveys, as well as in-depth analysis of client impact.
To dig a little deeper, we turned to our clients to understand key differentiators for EquiBrand vs. other leading brand consulting firms. Here’s what they said:
- EquiBrand offers a comprehensive set of brand management consulting services, including:
- Brand positioning and messaging with focus on developing relevant distinctive, and credible marketing communications
- Brand architecture and portfolio strategy, including defining and implementing brand architecture models (house of brand vs branded house, etc.)
- Brand extension, defining when and how to extend brand equity into related categories to fuel growth, being careful not to overextend and dilute the brand
- Brand naming and brand identity development to bring the brand to life while ensuring on-strategy delivery
- Brand research, including segmentation, attitudes & usage, conjoint analysis, and other methods
- The firm employs an analytical, market-driven approach that balances business judgment and experience with qualitative and quantitative market research
- EquiBrand has a track record of successfully building dozens of global brands and businesses across B2C and B2B categories, including consumer products and services, healthcare, insurance, financial services, automotive, technology, etc.
- Experienced brand management consultants understand marketing cost-drivers (e.g., brand proliferation, overuse of downstream marketing tactics) and employ discipline, analytics and planning to lower costs and improve ROI
- EquiBrand’s senior leadership team offers classic agency/marketing, strategic consulting and P&L management skills, and the people you meet with initially are the ones who will be working on your business
Why Brand Strategy vs. an Ad Agency or Design Firm?
Top brand management companies like EquiBrand that specialize in marketing and brand strategy (including digital marketing) tend to offer a broader set of skills vs. traditional advertising or branding agencies that favor communication and creativity.
In fact, many “branding firms” operate more as graphic design firms (offering branding services in corporate identity, packaging and logo development), though have extended their services to fend off competition and move up the strategy ladder.
At the same time, management consulting firms and technology specialists are expanding their services to encompass branding and marketing strategy (How IBM, Accenture, PwC and Deloitte Are Shaking Up the Marketing Industry). As a result, traditional lines between market research, agencies, technology and strategy firms are blurring.
While it can be hard to figure out which firm to hire, here are a few questions to consider:
- What are the backgrounds of the management consulting leaders? Look at team bios. Do they favor education and experience in improving business performance or creativity and communication? Does the firm hire MBA and technology specialists or do the firm principals hold degrees in creative writing or from art schools? Both can be effective, but it’s important to understand the firms’ hiring bias.
- Do case histories emphasize changes in business operations or in corporate identity development? While downstream activities like an improved website, social media or sales promotion may be necessary, they are insufficient for growth. The strongest brands and businesses are built through upstream marketing which should come through in viewing case studies.
- Does the way the firm thinks change the way you think? One of the surest ways to change how you act is to change how you think. Does the firm have a proven thought-leadership track record and are they introducing new concepts to impact business performance?
These are just a few questions to consider in considering how to evaluate brand consulting firms. For more information, contact EquiBrand Consulting.